THIS EVENT IS 100% FREE!
2024 Iowa Science of Reading Summit
Thursday, July 18 & Friday, July 19
DoubleTree by Hilton, Cedar Rapids Convention Complex
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The 2024 Iowa Science of Reading Summit will gather educators from across Iowa and surrounding states to expand their knowledge of evidence-based instructional practices and the science of reading. Discover the latest research, resources, and best practices in literacy instruction. Learn from leaders in literacy research, instruction, and advocacy. We hope that you can join us in downtown Cedar Rapids, Iowa for this 2-day event!
This summit is for you if....
- you are a teacher, instructional coach, higher education instructor, or educational professional involved in delivering evidence-based instruction in public or private educational settings.
- you have been trained, or are currently being trained, to deliver a program that you know is aligned with the science of reading.
- your school is making the shift to evidence-based instruction from balanced literacy, and you are at least partially responsible for decisions and purchases.
- you are an administrator who is trying to positively impact literacy rates in your district.
- you are an educator looking for deeper knowledge about the science of reading.
- District Leadership and Implementation Science
- Evidence-Based Instruction
- Writing Instruction
- Multi-Tiered Systems of Support
- Dyslexia and Research
- Access and Equity
- Foundational Concepts of the Science of Reading
A detailed and final schedule will be made available prior to the summit. Daily events are anticipated to begin at 8:00 a.m. and end around 4:00 p.m. Thursday and 3:00 p.m. Friday.
- Payment at the time of Registration The fee for the Iowa Science of Reading Summit must be paid in full at the time of registration via credit card. After successful registration, participants will receive an e-mail confirmation acknowledging registration and providing information relating to the event.
- Purchase Order This payment method will be accepted from a district or organization sending a group of 12 people or more when it is not possible to use a credit card. A $50.00 processing fee will apply to each purchase order. (This fee is per purchase order, not per attendee.) If your group size is less than 12, please register your group using a credit card. Credit card payments are the preferred and most efficient way to register. Please visit the FAQ tab for information about how to submit a purchase order. **Do not attempt online registration if you need to use a purchase order. Email Ask-IRRC@uiowa.edu for further assistance.**
Registration, Hotel, and Travel Accommodations
Registration covers admission to the Iowa Science of Reading Summit, keynote addresses, breakout sessions, session materials (if applicable), continental breakfast on Thursday and Friday, buffet-style lunch on Thursday and boxed lunch on Friday, snack break on Thursday, and access to exhibitors. Lodging, travel, and parking are not included.
Hotel accommodations are subject to availability and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Please visit the accommodations tab on this website for more information about hotel room blocks and pricing. Several room blocks in the Cedar Rapids area have been established for your convenience.
Things to Do
Known as the City of Five Seasons (the fifth season is a time to enjoy life), you're sure to experience the warm hospitality that defines this Eastern Iowa community. From the historic Czech Village to the iconic Cedar Rapids Museum of Art, there's a robust variety of attractions waiting to enhance your visit. Learn more about the Cedar Rapids area by visiting their tourism page.
Cancellations and Refunds
- Registrations are non-refundable, unless there are exceptional circumstances (natural disaster, COVID-19 pandemic, etc.), the determinations of which will be entirely at the discretion of the Iowa Reading Research Center.
- You may transfer your registration to another individual from your organization through June 26, 2024. All transfer requests must be submitted in writing to Ask-IRRC@uiowa.edu
Iowa Licensure Renewal Credit
If you wish to earn licensure renewal credit for attending this summit, please follow the following steps:
- Find the course on the catalog webpage https://tlc-uiowa.catalog.instructure.com/ and click on the ENROLL button
- You will receive an email to complete your registration and create a password to log in to the online course platform. Make sure to complete this step!
- Use your login information to access the site at: https://uiowa2.instructure.com/login/canvas
- Make sure to complete all requirements listed on that site to generate your certificate of completion by 10:00 p.m. (CST) of the course end date
- University of Iowa alumni can receive a 10% discount on the ILRC fee. Enter code ALUMNI at checkout.
For all other questions
Email: Ask-IRRC@uiowa.edu or visit the FAQ page on this website. Please allow 2 business days for a response.